Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dip Stick snapped off in Oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
Hello,

I have been away for too long, anyhow I noticed a puddle of oil under car, pulled dip stick out put it back in , pulled it out and the last part of the Stick was gone. must have been 50 years of metal fatigue. Question is whats it going to take to get it out of the tank?

it is a /6 tank

George
mepstein
You can’t try a magnetic retrieval tool. They are a couple dollars at flaps.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 17 2022, 06:15 PM) *

that was my thought, figured I would pick it up in the middle and pull off magnet as I pulled it back out.

I will have to give it some attempts.

bkrantz
How long a piece broke off?
mb911
QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Aug 17 2022, 05:23 PM) *

that was my thought, figured I would pick it up in the middle and pull off magnet as I pulled it back out.

Probably pull the tank and clean out anyway.
porschetub
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 18 2022, 01:36 PM) *

QUOTE(G e o r g e @ Aug 17 2022, 05:23 PM) *

Probably pull the tank and clean out anyway.

Now that is a crappy thing to happen headbang.gif ,best to remove the tank filler pipe assembly as the broken piece could be stuck in there or it has fallen into the tank so Ben's answer is the only way to go,its a PITA but cleaning the tank is a good thing to do anyway .
Lots of crap can build up in the lowest point of the tank and cause corrosion ,my factory tank had been repaired in that area and was pleased to see it was done very well.
Good luck.
mepstein
On the other hand, it doesn’t hurt anything. I’ve seen plenty of 911 oil tanks with pieces of dip sticks in them. It doesn’t go anywhere.
Rob-O
Doesn’t the factory tank have a brazed in screen about halfway down the tank? I thought I remember this ring the case. If so it shouldn’t makes it’s way to the filter console or pick up. Just remember the screen is there if fishing with a magnet. You don’t want to push that magnet and break the screen. Again, if I’m remembering correctly the screen seemed fragile.
michael7810
From what I've read a magnet wont stick to the dipstick.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 18 2022, 04:41 AM) *

On the other hand, it doesn’t hurt anything. I’ve seen plenty of 911 oil tanks with pieces of dip sticks in them. It doesn’t go anywhere.

agree.gif

If you can't get the piece out, shouldn't hurt anything.
rgalla9146
The dipstick tube extends down through the screen.
There are magnets that have long spring-like extensions.
Take the filler neck off and aim the magnet through the hole in the screen. The line of
sight might be too difficult in the car but worth a try.
You might have to lay across the trunk lid to get a good view.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.