Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Wheel Bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
pek771
Hi all,
I need 16 wheel bolts for some old American Racing wheels. Anyone got a set they'd like to part with?

Click to view attachment

The American Racing wheel is on the left (you knew that). The other wheel is some sort of EMPI knockoff, which uses 14mm radiuses lug bolts.
TIA
Pat
Van B
Post a close up. It’s all washed out because of the matte aluminum
sixnotfour
use adapter studs 14 mm to 12x1.5 or 1/2-20 and buy lug nuts ,,summitt racing ,, weld racing lug nuts .. measure the bore on the wheel ..I assume .690
pek771
This is the wheel before I had it glass beaded. The distinguishing feature of these wheels is the lack of any chamfer or countersink at the wheel bolt holes. Thus, they ran with a heavy washer under a standard bolt.
I was going to countersink the holes to accept a standard US 60 degree taper, with a 14mm bolt. But my drill press is only 5-1/2" deep, where it needs 6"+ to clear the wheel. I hate that. So, I look for bolts.

Click to view attachment
Van B
Then they run the same stud and through lug nut that my gurney wheels do.
Sixnotfour laid out what you need.
Eggman
Anyone in need of a set of four of the same American Racing wheel I have some.
jrmdir
For reference, this is what the Gurney bolts look like.

It would seem that if you installed studs as suggested and then had proper sized bushings to play the part of the shoulder it might work.

Click to view attachment
Van B
My gurney wheels came with studs and shouldered lug nuts vs bolts. Never seen your wheel bolts before. @jrmdir
pek771
I am assuming Gurney wheels are not the same as these American Racing wheels. These AR wheels have a 14mm hole for the wheel nuts As such, a 0.670 Weld sleeve will not exactly fit well into a 0.556 hole. I am guessing the original AR wheels had a 14mm bolt, with a non-threaded shank in the wheel, and some sort of hardened washer.
I found a bigger drill press. I will countersink the holes with a 14mm radius and be done with it. That way, I can use the same lug bolts.

jrmdir
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 21 2022, 09:00 PM) *
Never seen your wheel bolts before. @jrmdir

Those were what the wheels came with. There are several threads about them being hard to find now. Also discussions about the wheels being added by dealers back then to jack up the profit. With these bolts there was no need to add studs, void warranties, etc. See posts 9 through 12 here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=159529

Ron
914werke
Ive got theses? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.