Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 rear caliper need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim dorociak
I have fresh replated, and rebuild 914/4 rear calipers and thought I would run 911SC vented rear rotor, am running 911 Carrera front vented rotors and figured easy upgrade for the rear. I got spacer blocks from rear 911 calipers, but upon disassembly of the 914/4 calipers I discovered the bolt holes do not line up properly for the spacer blocks I already bought. Does anyone make a kit of spacer blocks for 914/4 to allow a vented rear rotor to be used? I already turned down the overall diameter of the vented rear rotor to 914 size. Trying not to purchase 914-6 rear calipers because of the cost.

Help please with some information and knowledge from you guys.

Thanks in advance. Jim Dorociak. jdorociak@gmail.com
gandalf_025
This, according to PMB…

That said, we have the spacer kits (for both 914-6 calipers and 914-4 calipers) and, if you want to space them out, and use vented 911 rotors, you'll need about 4.5mm of washers under the ears and, it's best to get longer mounting bolts at that time as well. It's not a 911E part... all 911's have them from 1970 through 1983. It's a rear M-Caliper spacer and fasteners. For the -4 calipers, it's a kit we developed for those specifically as they have a totally different profile and different (M7) fasteners. Also, a 911 rotor does not bolt right up (spacers needed as described) nor would it need to be shaved with a real 914-6 caliper. With a spaced 914-4 caliper you need to bring the diameter down to 281mm. Both calipers would need the 4.5mm worth of spacers under the ears to get them to align with the 911 rotors offset. Also, most trailing arms don't allow a 4-5mm backspacing of the caliper without modifying the inner venting clearance adjustment tube.
jim dorociak
gandalf_025. - thank you for your prompt reply,

Sorry little confused are you saying PMB has those kits? I can call Eric tomorrow, but he was the one who told me to get spacer blocks from 911 rear calipers, so I would have thought he would have mentioned the difference.

If it is not PMB please tell me the vendor to buy these spacer blocks. Jim. jdorociak@gmail.com
jim_hoyland
I got mine from PMB.
gandalf_025
Bought these at the Last Hershey Swap Meet.
Someone got creative and made their own spacers.
Looked a mess, but they apparently worked because
they showed a lot of wear..
Gotta love the hardware too..

Click to view attachment
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Nov 29 2021, 07:42 AM) *

Bought these at the Last Hershey Swap Meet.
Someone got creative and made their own spacers.
Looked a mess, but they apparently worked because
they showed a lot of wear..
Gotta love the hardware too..

Click to view attachment

Oh what magic he could have worked with a grinder and a cut-off wheel. confused24.gif
burton73
The deal is, what are you going to do for a parking brake?
If you can space out a 914-4 to work with a ventilated disk OK but really stock 914 4 rears will work just fine ventilated or not.

I used stock Carrera front end up front and 914-4 in back no vent disk and the car worked great. Had 5 lug Magnesium Gas Burners and that car could handle like no one’s biz.

Try Eric one more time or ask B Stone what he has got around to fix you up. You really want a parking brake

Bob B
jim dorociak
I am sure you are right. The 4's rear calipers probably do the job just fine, but this is a 75 conversion and I know there is real value in as many 914-6 components that get used as can be afforded although it will never have a six serial number. I ended up getting 914-6 calipers to restore and space out using the 911 rear caliper spacer blocks and of course the SC vented rear rotor. It is my piece of mind. Bob can you post some pictures of your car and the gas burner wheels? I find them an interesting look. I am still struggling to put metal flares or keep it original. Thank you. Jim
Mark Henry
I have PMB V-calipers, last I checked Eric doesn't make them anymore.
They came with no hardware and after no reply with repeated emails I made my own.

I also have another 914 with 5 bolt, but stock rears.
IMHO unless you're racing rear vented rotors are not needed.
914Toy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2021, 08:49 AM) *

I have PMB V-calipers, last I checked Eric doesn't make them anymore.
They came with no hardware and after no reply with repeated emails I made my own.

I also have another 914 with 5 bolt, but stock rears.
IMHO unless you're racing rear vented rotors are not needed.

I agree with Mark. Vented rotors only help under extreme continuous braking, such as competitive track racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.