Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Last drive till spring?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
Heading into Elmira from the hills... Winter is coming. Salt is everywhere.Click to view attachment
Van B
It’s funny seeing the weather here in DC. I live in southern Maryland about 40min south of DC proper. Since I moved here in 2019 I’ve been trying to understand this thing called winter lol… It definitely seems the true New England weather starts somewhere between DC and Baltimore. It gets cold here (compared to Houston) but I can usually drive quite a bit during the winter. Outside of the intermittent bouts of snow and rain.
emerygt350
I lived in DC for 6 years, several of those with an old 1972 Opel gt. Winter was a strange fickle thing. Once we had 4 inches of snow and a Chevy blazer went sideways into the back of my little car at a stop sign. I got out to look, nothing on my car, her door was caved in. She said"I don't understand! This is four wheel drive!".
Shivers
I once skied over 4 inches of snow. sunglasses.gif
Van B
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Nov 24 2021, 10:25 PM) *

I lived in DC for 6 years, several of those with an old 1972 Opel gt. Winter was a strange fickle thing. Once we had 4 inches of snow and a Chevy blazer went sideways into the back of my little car at a stop sign. I got out to look, nothing on my car, her door was caved in. She said"I don't understand! This is four wheel drive!".

My daily is a Touareg TDI… getting to drive it in the winter here is like playing GTA. All these chumps in their shit boxes struggling to go straight and my computerized 4WD is not even phases lol! driving.gif
wonkipop
summer starts in 2 weeks. beer.gif
Van B
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Nov 24 2021, 11:30 PM) *

Don’t know what you’re bragging about Wonkipop…. Andrews is well on his way canceling summer lol
wonkipop

QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 24 2021, 10:38 PM) *

Don’t know what you’re bragging about Wonkipop…. Andrews is well on his way canceling summer lol

av-943.gif

dickhead dan is famous everywhere. how did that happen.

but -
its not going very well for d d at the moment.
his high flying luftwaffe bill to rule over us with "special powers" got a ground to air missile right up its afterburner.

now he has been tied up in his parachute and given the slow burn with an oxy torch by the shooters and hunters party mp.

its getting good after two years of hell. beerchug.gif

Van B
Sounding like a very merry Christmas indeed! You’ll be out driving and poor Emery will be locked in his garage thanks to that upstate New York winter lol!
emerygt350

Nice. Not like you guys get much snow... Or salt.
barefoot
Back in late 70’s I was commuting between Cleveland and Rochester during the winter in my 1970 914 lots of white-outs on I90 mad.gif
930cabman
Just got our bird stuffed, will be heading out for probably the last ride of the season here in Buffalo.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and your families

914e
Is winter that time of year the AC is not running 24/7? We just pulled the cars out of storage. With luck we will get four months of driving weather.
Porschef
Click to view attachment

So it would seem… dry.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(914e @ Nov 25 2021, 06:18 AM) *

Is winter that time of year the AC is not running 24/7? We just pulled the cars out of storage. With luck we will get four months of driving weather.

Yeah but they live in that latitude with attitude. sad.gif Low Dez is rocking
jrmdir
Drive on - secret German coating means snow, mud and salt spray can't touch these cars!

Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Nov 24 2021, 06:26 PM) *

Heading into Elmira from the hills... Winter is coming. Salt is everywhere.Click to view attachment

Nice pic. I grew up in Rochester. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
bzettner
Sorry ‘bout that! South Texas is in it’s prime driving time right now! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
I usually get my car out one more time after Thanksgiving. May not happen this year. Not thrilled about it, but just too much to do. :-9

Zach
emerygt350
QUOTE(bzettner @ Nov 28 2021, 09:43 PM) *

Sorry ‘bout that! South Texas is in it’s prime driving time right now! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

That's just cruel...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Nov 29 2021, 12:59 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

That's just cruel...

same here, its just getting to be great driving weather! i dont really get the car out in the middle of summer so fall and winter now are when i get to put some miles on it!
but i grew up in Minnesota and my high school and college car was a '69 austin healey and unless there was a foot of snow on the ground i drove that car all winter, lots of fun!.
if there isnt salt on the road id say drive it.

driving.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 29 2021, 01:36 PM) *

driving.gif

And that's the rub.
In the MidAtlantic and at least southern North East.. you could have a beautiful winter day. Sunny, warm enough that you aren't frozen in a car with no heat. But there is so much salt on the road from the road brine that the road looks white.

From the evening before the first real snow till the spring rains wash it away, the word of the MidA in winter is "SALT."

And the brine is SO MUCH WORSE then when they actually used to spin rock salt on the road. It really gets into every nook and cranny.

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Nov 29 2021, 11:59 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

That's just cruel...

Nope.. it is not. That's what you get for living in the arctic hellhole of new york. poke.gif

It is 65 degrees and sunny today in the DFW area. Great weather to drive a 914. piratenanner.gif

Clay
930cabman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 29 2021, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Nov 29 2021, 11:59 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

That's just cruel...

Nope.. it is not. That's what you get for living in the arctic hellhole of new york. poke.gif

Being a short drive from all of my 5 awesome grandkids makes it all worth it, and besides it provides "downtime" in the shop to get them ready for next season.

It is 65 degrees and sunny today in the DFW area. Great weather to drive a 914. piratenanner.gif

Clay

wonkipop
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Nov 29 2021, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Nov 29 2021, 12:59 PM) *

beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

That's just cruel...

same here, its just getting to be great driving weather! i dont really get the car out in the middle of summer so fall and winter now are when i get to put some miles on it!
but i grew up in Minnesota and my high school and college car was a '69 austin healey and unless there was a foot of snow on the ground i drove that car all winter, lots of fun!.

driving.gif

got a similar problem to dr. phil down here - when real summer arrives. blink.gif

+ UV will fry you to a crisp. ozone levels in southern hemisphere are lower than the north -- + the planes haven't been flying/cars haven't been driving - the air is crystal clear. nice in some ways. but......

got a little taste on sunday. perfect aus day for first time in 3 months.
and its bright here. like being under an arc lamp.

put the "racetrack" down near the docks to good use.
no salt on the roads - just in the air. got a mild dose of sunburn and cultured some more skin cancer.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.