Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 2.0 motor needs to be resealed/rebuilt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
Looking for recommendations.

The motor on my matching numbers '73 2.0 is leaking in multiple places. The shop I take it to for servicing is recommending a rebuild (to reseal it). The motor runs strong - no issues, but they are telling me all the leaks will eventually cause issues (on top of making my garage floor look nasty.

The shop cannot do the rebuild until Jan (too backed up) and honestly, I would like to take it (or send it) to someone who specializes in 914 rebuilds.

I'm located in Northern Virginia (just over the bridge from D.C.).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
flipb
My 2.0 was rebuilt to 2056 specs by Stan & Kevin Fox at RPM Racing in Newington. They clearly had a lot more experience with flat-6 builds and there were some things they struggled with, but the work quality was generally very good.

Nowadays I take the car to Ray at AutoSportSystems Group (ASG) in Merrifield. I presume they'd be an expensive shop for a rebuild but the work would be top-notch.

Honestly, if I were doing it over, I might poke around the VW scene. Paul's VW shop on 236 in Annandale has always been an object of curiosity to me; don't have any firsthand experience.

DM me if you want more details.
Shivers
If it runs ok just have it resealed
brant
just re seal it yourself...
might take a weekend.. but if the leakdown is good... its not an expensive job to buy the seals.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Nov 16 2021, 02:19 PM) *

Looking for recommendations.

The motor on my matching numbers '73 2.0 is leaking in multiple places. The shop I take it to for servicing is recommending a rebuild (to reseal it). The motor runs strong - no issues, but they are telling me all the leaks will eventually cause issues (on top of making my garage floor look nasty.

The shop cannot do the rebuild until Jan (too backed up) and honestly, I would like to take it (or send it) to someone who specializes in 914 rebuilds.

I'm located in Northern Virginia (just over the bridge from D.C.).

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 16 2021, 03:44 PM) *

might take a weekend.. but if the leakdown is good... its not an expensive job to buy the seals.

agree.gif
I did that 3-4 years ago when the motor was out for the body and paint work, its not hard or expensive. i assume you are referring to the front and rear main seals the oil cooler seals and the push rod tube seals, and maybe the oil cooler seals. Since i did that one i still don't have any leaks from that motor- it did come out due to dropped valve seat in May and had the heads rebuilt etc this summer, but no leaks.
930cabman
I am in the same boat. Checked leakdown #'s last week, 5% was the highest. Too bad she is a gusher
Van B
I don't have room to deal with an engine out service either so, I understand your issue. I don't know anything about these folks, but I recently found them on Google:
Classic Porsche Restoration, LLC

9329 Ocean Gateway, Easton, MD 21601
(410) 822-8322 https://g.co/kgs/kXeXKM

It's a little bit of a hike, but as you know, there aren't a lot of options in DMV town
saigon71
Steve Limbert @ Aircooled Racing in Southern PA. 717-432-4116.
DC_neun_vierzehn

Unfortunately, I don't have the space (lack a proper garage for work),no experience (would be learning from ground zero), and no time (I have a newborn). So while it truly sounds fun to tackle ... I couldn't make it happen.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 16 2021, 02:27 PM) *

My 2.0 was rebuilt to 2056 specs by Stan & Kevin Fox at RPM Racing in Newington. They clearly had a lot more experience with flat-6 builds and there were some things they struggled with, but the work quality was generally very good.

Nowadays I take the car to Ray at AutoSportSystems Group (ASG) in Merrifield. I presume they'd be an expensive shop for a rebuild but the work would be top-notch.

Honestly, if I were doing it over, I might poke around the VW scene. Paul's VW shop on 236 in Annandale has always been an object of curiosity to me; don't have any firsthand experience.

Sounds like I should pass on RPM. I'll look into ASG and Pauls. Thanks!
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 18 2021, 08:32 AM) *

I don't have room to deal with an engine out service either so, I understand your issue. I don't know anything about these folks, but I recently found them on Google:
Classic Porsche Restoration, LLC

9329 Ocean Gateway, Easton, MD 21601
(410) 822-8322 https://g.co/kgs/kXeXKM

It's a little bit of a hike, but as you know, there aren't a lot of options in DMV town

I've heard good things about them, but also know they are backed-up, through (so a little on the slow side in a good way), and not cheap. But I'm going to look into them since I travel from NoVa to the shore in DE regularly. Thanks!
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Nov 18 2021, 08:39 AM) *

Steve Limbert @ Aircooled Racing in Southern PA. 717-432-4116.

I'll give Steve a call. Thanks!
r_towle
Consider this.
Test the leak down first.
If it’s ok, it’s simple and less than a day to remove and replace the following.

Push rod tube seals
Oil cooler seals
Oil sump plate gaskets
Valve cover gaskets (have them adjust the valves too)
Oil pressure sensor

That covers the most likely suspects of leaks
I ordered up this kit of parts from 914rubber

That may stop all the major leaks
Van B
QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 16 2021, 03:27 PM) *

I’ve been looking on google maps and I don’t see any VW shop listed on 236?
flipb
QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 19 2021, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 16 2021, 03:27 PM) *

I’ve been looking on google maps and I don’t see any VW shop listed on 236?

They don't seem to have much of a web presence, and maybe they've closed up. But this is where I've driven past it many times -- always try to sneak a peek of interesting cars in the lot.

There are some results if you Google Paul's Auto Repair Annandale.
Van B
This Paul’s Auto Repair:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/pauls-auto-repair-annandale

Shows up as a “Tobacco Hut” on google maps:
Tobacco hut Annandale
https://goo.gl/maps/bKvTt8eEA9SiA7TZ9
Shivers
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Nov 18 2021, 04:02 PM) *

Unfortunately, I don't have the space (lack a proper garage for work),no experience (would be learning from ground zero), and no time (I have a newborn). So while it truly sounds fun to tackle ... I couldn't make it happen.

I built this engine in my apartment living room, I hung drop cloths to make a clean room next to my drafting table that I used as a work bench. I was a newlywed. God bless my Wife smile.gif

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 19 2021, 08:56 AM) *

I built this engine in my apartment living room, I hung drop cloths to make a clean room next to my drafting table that I used as a work bench. I was a newlywed. God bless my Wife smile.gif

Click to view attachment

+1 with the engine/living room/wife combination.

Can you still have the same wife?
Shivers
QUOTE(930cabman @ Nov 19 2021, 06:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Nov 19 2021, 08:56 AM) *

+1 with the engine/living room/wife combination.

Can you still have the same wife?

Same one. She is on board for this rebuild of our car. Though she makes me pace myself now a days.
Van B
Talk about a thread hijack lol... slap.gif

To the OP, please let me know how this search develops for you. I would definitely like to have a "local" shop to lean on as needed.

Van
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 19 2021, 11:40 AM) *

To the OP, please let me know how this search develops for you. I would definitely like to have a "local" shop to lean on as needed.

Van

Will do.
DC_neun_vierzehn
What is a fair price range for a 2.0 rebuild (not just a reseal)?
Jett
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Nov 21 2021, 03:09 PM) *

What is a fair price range for a 2.0 rebuild (not just a reseal)?

I use a reputable local builder and remote machine shop that know these motors, and pay ~10k for a 2.0/4. Not cheap, but suspect it will last for many years to come smile.gif
Van B
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Nov 21 2021, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Nov 19 2021, 11:40 AM) *

Van

Will do.

How’s the search going?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.