Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front brake pins and spreaders help, Front Brake Help
North Coast Jim
post Jun 9 2024, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Attached Image

My project car has been running great for 3 years now and 5300 miles of spirited driving. Even made the last Teenerfest and ran the Tail of the dragon !!

Front brake performance has fallen off dramatically and upon inspection found that the spreader is holding the brake pads from closing on the disk. Ordered another set of pins and spreaders for a late 914 from Stoddards and received a set of pins and spreaders that do not work with my calipers. Upon review of other parts suppliers websites these are the parts I should be using.

See pic. The items on the car presently are shown at the top. Pin is 3.040" long and the vertical part of the spreader is "wide". The entire brake system was purchased from PMB
in late 2015 and has performed flawlessly until now. Calipers were stated as being for a "late 914". When I try and install the new parts the spreader impinges on the OD of the rotor and will not turn. Hard to install as well.

What hardware do I need ?? Thanks to the Brain Trust
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 9 2024, 12:41 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Are you running -6 M calipers?
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jun 9 2024, 12:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jun 9 2024, 08:23 AM) *

Attached Image

My project car has been running great for 3 years now and 5300 miles of spirited driving. Even made the last Teenerfest and ran the Tail of the dragon !!

Front brake performance has fallen off dramatically and upon inspection found that the spreader is holding the brake pads from closing on the disk. Ordered another set of pins and spreaders for a late 914 from Stoddards and received a set of pins and spreaders that do not work with my calipers. Upon review of other parts suppliers websites these are the parts I should be using.

See pic. The items on the car presently are shown at the top. Pin is 3.040" long and the vertical part of the spreader is "wide". The entire brake system was purchased from PMB
in late 2015 and has performed flawlessly until now. Calipers were stated as being for a "late 914". When I try and install the new parts the spreader impinges on the OD of the rotor and will not turn. Hard to install as well.

Just a flyer here, but were the fronts upgraded to vented rotors? The lower pins/springs look to be for stock non-vented.
In any case, I believe the original spreader spring center piece is/was too wide, that is why the pads were (most likely) hitting them. The long center piece should be no wider than the rotor itself.
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Jun 9 2024, 01:56 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 9 2024, 02:41 PM) *

Are you running -6 M calipers?

Purchased from PMB in Dec of 2015. They were reported to be "late 914" calipers. Don't know what a -6M calipers is.
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Jun 9 2024, 01:58 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Jun 9 2024, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jun 9 2024, 08:23 AM) *

Attached Image

Just a flyer here, but were the fronts upgraded to vented rotors? The lower pins/springs look to be for stock non-vented.
In any case, I believe the original spreader spring center piece is/was too wide, that is why the pads were (most likely) hitting them. The long center piece should be no wider than the rotor itself.

Understand the too wide spreader issue. The reason I'm trying to replace them. Rotors a stock non vented.
+Quote Post
davep
post Jun 9 2024, 02:08 PM
Post #6

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The upper spreader is for vented rotors and certainly not suited for non-vented rotors as you have found. I could trade you for the proper spreader for a late 914/4 caliper.
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jun 9 2024, 07:18 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Having had somewhat similar issues with spreader springs, I'm thinking the non-OEM design is contributing to the problem of it jamming against the rotor. See if you can find springs that are 'folded' at the end rather than the inverted 'U' shape in the center.

But that doesn't answer the question about the pin length. I assume the top/longer one fit the caliper just fine? So the new/shorter one would not retain the pads or spring properly.
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 9 2024, 11:05 PM
Post #8

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

Don't know if this helps, but here are some pictures of the PMB restored front caliper and PMB supplied spreader I just installed in my 1975 1.8. The pin length is shown in the pictures. It fits fine. I have the old pins in place temporarily as I somehow lost the clips for the new pins.

Some pictures of your calipers/rotors would help to confirm the set up on your car. Calling PMB for some advice/help is also not a bad idea.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 10 2024, 09:52 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

there are early and late kits, the late ones have wider cross clips

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jun 9 2024, 06:23 AM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
87m491
post Jun 11 2024, 06:44 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

[/quote]

Understand the too wide spreader issue. The reason I'm trying to replace them. Rotors a stock non vented.
[/quote]

Dremel/tin snip 3/16s off each side of the spreader spring, issue solved?
+Quote Post
neilbardsley
post Jun 11 2024, 12:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,754
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Jun 9 2024, 07:23 AM) *

Attached Image

May I ask how you released the springs were stopping the pads from gripping the disc? Where the springs bent or damaged?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2024 - 02:55 AM