Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Engine Time!, First drive on 4/23/23!
VaccaRabite
post Mar 17 2023, 09:03 AM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

About 18ish months ago I bought into a new engine program Eric and PMB were starting up. If you have seen me in person I've probably talked your ear off about it. Sorry about that, I've been pretty excited.

Mine is No2 off their line, and its crated up in Utah waiting for the shipper to pick it up.

So its really real time here in Dallastown, and I've started getting my 2056 ready to come out.

The new engine!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679065407.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679065409.2.jpg)

I *think* (and could be wrong) that Eric also used my motor as the promotional model for Facebook and his Web storefront - though that could have been Risdal's engine which was right behind mine.

Eric and Larry did a lot of testing on the #1 engine in Jim's car, got a lot of driving data at Red Rocks last fall, and then had to wait on components to come in that resulted from that real world testing.

My engine was crated last week. I asked Eric to include some other things (including his new brake lines and new pads), paid the final invoice for parts and shipping and the engine will hopefully be in my garage next week!

@Stratplayer
@Eric_Shea
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Mar 17 2023, 09:28 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) That's a thing of beauty! Any dyno #'s available?
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 17 2023, 09:29 AM
Post #3

En Garde!

Last night I started working on unhooking all the stuff that connects the engine to the car.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679067022.1.jpg)
914 went up on the quickjacks. I have a lift in the other bay, but as you can see my Westy is taking that spot right now for its re-wiring job. The quickjacks will work fine for this.

I took off the 1.8 airbox, and all the MS2 EFI stuff that had been attached to the engine bay of the car. The airbox and it supports came out and got shelved, but the EFI parts just got layed on top of the engine and will drop out with the engine.

My current engine uses stock fuel runners. Do they need to come out before I drop the engine? I don't recall if I put those on once the engine was in the car or not.

Under the car I only had time to pull the heat exchangers off. Some of you may remember my exhaust issues last year that ended up with me breaking an exhaust stud about 1mm into the head. Ahh, good times. After I fixed that, there was still an exhaust leak. I figured I had cracked the exchanger just inside the heater jacket (where they are super prone to cracks anyway. Well, I was partially right. I HAD cracked the exchanger, just not where I thought.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679066960.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1679066960.3.jpg)

That was the same ear as the broken stud. I don't remember it looking like that when I put the heat exchanger back on last spring, but it had to have started there and probably opened up when I torqued the heat exchangers back onto to the car. Amusingly once the car warmed up that big crack would close up and the leak would become inaudible. I had damn near torn the entire ear off! But the cracked primary was small enough that it would close up when it got hot. I have a new (used good) set of SSIs to go on, but these might be work getting fixed.

That's as far as I got last night before I got called in to help make pirogues and then grill up dinner for the family. If things go to plan I'll either have the engine out tonight or will be damn close to having that done. Goal is to have the car driving again by April 1.

Zach
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 17 2023, 09:29 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Wow! Very exciting news. What are the build specs? I know you can't wait to get that baby in and fired-up. Looking forward to seeing install photos and maybe even a video of the first fire-up in the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 17 2023, 09:33 AM
Post #5

En Garde!

Aside from the engine swap, that other tasks to be done include mounting new tires, new SS brakelines from PMB, new porterfiled pads, new brake fluid, and hopefully not needing new rotors and bearings - as that will blow my time budget.

Zach
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Mar 17 2023, 09:42 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Looks great, keep us informed of the progress and engine specs
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 17 2023, 09:44 AM
Post #7

En Garde!

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 17 2023, 11:28 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) That's a thing of beauty! Any dyno #'s available?

Eric does not currently have an engine dyno, but that is the question we are all asking. The estimate is about 160, but we don't have real numbers. Jim's butt dyno rated the No1 engine as "Very Fun" at RRC.

Wow! Very exciting news. What are the build specs? I know you can't wait to get that baby in and fired-up. Looking forward to seeing install photos and maybe even a video of the first fire-up in the car

2258 CC, full fuel electronic fuel injection and spark. At one point I knew what cam was getting used, but I don't recall now, and I don't want to inadvertently give out Eric's secrets (thought I'm pretty damn positive he does not care). Eric is tagged and I'm sure he will chime in.

Zach
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Mar 17 2023, 10:22 AM
Post #8

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 17 2023, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 17 2023, 11:28 AM) *

Eric does not currently have an engine dyno, but that is the question we are all asking. The estimate is about 160, but we don't have real numbers. Jim's butt dyno rated the No1 engine as "Very Fun" at RRC.

Wow! Very exciting news. What are the build specs? I know you can't wait to get that baby in and fired-up. Looking forward to seeing install photos and maybe even a video of the first fire-up in the car

2258 CC, full fuel electronic fuel injection and spark. At one point I knew what cam was getting used, but I don't recall now, and I don't want to inadvertently give out Eric's secrets (thought I'm pretty damn positive he does not care). Eric is tagged and I'm sure he will chime in.

Zach

I have the same motor that is almost finished. I should be installed into my car some time next week. Once it's installed it will be dyno. I will post the results of the dyno when I get them.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 17 2023, 10:26 AM
Post #9

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What is that shroud made out of?
+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 17 2023, 10:30 AM
Post #10

RN

Member No.: 2,766

Congratulations Zach. Look forward to seeing this and running around PA!
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Mar 17 2023, 11:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,549

QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 17 2023, 10:26 AM) *

What is that shroud made out of?

Hopefully aluminum. That location needs heat dissipation.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 17 2023, 11:42 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Sure looks nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

You going to dyno it on Chassis dyno?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 17 2023, 11:54 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Wow, work of art...enjoy!
+Quote Post
nditiz1
post Mar 17 2023, 12:04 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,763

Looks excellent Zack, waiting in anticipation for the first fire up. Did Eric post up the numbers from the #1 test engine? Curious what it was pumping out.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Mar 17 2023, 12:35 PM
Post #15

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Looks great ! The PMB upgrade is a giant step up for the ‘4s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 17 2023, 01:33 PM
Post #16

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I think the stock tin is still used.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Mar 17 2023, 02:12 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 24,549

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 17 2023, 01:33 PM) *

I think the stock tin is still used.

The cover above the coils.
+Quote Post
echocanyons
post Mar 17 2023, 02:49 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 7
Region Association: Central California

This engine is pretty incredible, my son has the first one and seat of the pants feels at least 150hp. The EFI and feel of this engine is hands down the finest air cooled 4 cylinder option that exists for the 914.

The thought and build that went into this whole project by PMB is representative of the next level work that they do for 914s.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Mar 17 2023, 03:36 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Mar 17 2023, 04:35 PM
Post #20

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Very excited for you guys to get these engines in your cars, it takes time but it will be well worth it.

Best Bob B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:04 AM