Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dumb question about wideband O2 sensor, Is it okay to drive with it disconnected?
bbrock
post Jun 26 2022, 12:25 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Kind of an odd question but I have a wideband O2 sensor installed I've been using to dial in carbs using my laptop with Logger3 installed for the gauge. I'm going to drive the car on a moderately long trip next week and don't want to leave the cable snaked through the engine lid and targa top when I drive.

I think it was McMark who said the sensors don't like to be installed and uninstalled too many times so I'm wondering if there is any harm in leaving the sensor in place but disconnecting from power and tying the cable out of the way in the engine bay, or should I remove the sensor completely. Is there any harm in leaving the sensor installed by not connected?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 26 2022, 12:28 PM
Post #2

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 26 2022, 11:25 AM) *

Kind of an odd question but I have a wideband O2 sensor installed I've been using to dial in carbs using my laptop with Logger3 installed for the gauge. I'm going to drive the car on a moderately long trip next week and don't want to leave the cable snaked through the engine lid and targa top when I drive.

I think it was McMark who said the sensors don't like to be installed and uninstalled too many times so I'm wondering if there is any harm in leaving the sensor in place but disconnecting from power and tying the cable out of the way in the engine bay, or should I remove the sensor completely. Is there any harm in leaving the sensor installed by not connected?

Bah! Take it out. No big deal.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 26 2022, 12:33 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47

I would theorize that the sensor needs to be connected for the internal heater to work. And keep contaminants burned off
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 26 2022, 12:38 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 26 2022, 12:28 PM) *

Bah! Take it out. No big deal.
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 26 2022, 12:33 PM) *

I would theorize that the sensor needs to be connected for the internal heater to work. And keep contaminants burned off

Confirms my suspicion. It's coming out. Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 27 2022, 11:33 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Only two choices, take it out or leave it running, you have to have power to the sensor.

McMark is correct, every time you remove a lambda you risk ruining it. For temporary set ups remove the sensor as soon as you're done, if you leave it in too long it will get stuck. Once it's really stuck you will likely pooch the sensor when removing it.

If you're installing or replacing a sensor it's good practice to chase the threads and use the proper socket, both tap, socket and bung plug are available at your FLAPS. Always use anti-seize on the threads, but be careful not to get any of it on the sensor tip.

Heh-heh I said 'bung plug' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Jun 27 2022, 11:54 AM
Post #6

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 27 2022, 10:33 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 27 2022, 12:25 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 27 2022, 11:33 AM) *

Only two choices, take it out or leave it running, you have to have power to the sensor.

McMark is correct, every time you remove a lambda you risk ruining it. For temporary set ups remove the sensor as soon as you're done, if you leave it in too long it will get stuck. Once it's really stuck you will likely pooch the sensor when removing it.

If you're installing or replacing a sensor it's good practice to chase the threads and use the proper socket, both tap, socket and bung plug are available at your FLAPS. Always use anti-seize on the threads, but be careful not to get any of it on the sensor tip.

Thanks Mark, The sensor is out and my bung is now properly plugged again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
GBX0073
post Jun 27 2022, 01:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 25,007
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Another question on a Wideband for the group
I picked up a Innovate Wideband Kit plan to mount the gauge in the center console
cable equates to about 10 and half feet will this be enough to make it ?
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jun 27 2022, 01:55 PM
Post #9

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

All depends on how you route it, for me 10 was slightly short, but the next sized cable is obnoxiously long…
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:23 PM