Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tie Rod Fork, Positioning correctly
Rod911964
post Jun 26 2022, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,752
Region Association: None

Need some advise/help concerning 914 tie rods
Car:1974 Porsche 914 1.8l
Concern needing help: driving the other day and notice a “new noise” coming from the left front wheel. Only occurs when making a right turn. I immediately suspect wheel bearing. I bring it home , raise the wheel and jostle the wheel for free play. There is none. But I do hear a “clunking” noise when attempting to move the wheel. The source of the noise is on the left tieRod at the fork to the steering rack.
So I put the car on the lift and compare the left side to the right side. I also consult the Hayes Manual.
The manual indicate both right and left side tieRod fork to steering rack to be in a lateral orientation. I notice on my care the left is in a vertical position and the right is in a lateral position. I would think the left side is experiencing significant stress at this union.
How do I correct/position the left side tieRod fork to steering rack union? Or doesn’t it matter )I don’t think so.
See attached pics. 1st pic is the left side, 2nd is the right side.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 26 2022, 11:05 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Setting aside the issue or orientation for a moment.

Not uncommon for the yoke busing to be worn out and the source of the clunk having nothing to do with direction / orientation.

Simple solution -- replace with turbo tie rods. Then orientation doesn't matter due to the 930 joint design.

Other OEM option, I think 914 rubber and/or AA offer rebuilt yoke and bushing. Then you'll need to reorient properly so that the yoke is pointing toward the tie rod end at the knuckle (i.e. not vertical but more like lateral & rearward).
+Quote Post
914fahrer
post Jun 26 2022, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,115
Region Association: Germany

Here is the position of the tie rod Eyebolt.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 26 2022, 11:08 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Good picture (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Bottom line -- as the strut move up/down vertically, you want the tie rod end to be able to rotate up/down in the yoke without binding as it does in that vertical orientation.

Given that yours was the wrong way, that bushing looks pretty trashed and that is probably where the clunk is coming from.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Jun 26 2022, 11:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Don't see the 2nd pic. Your jam nut is loose unless you did that, looks like the bush is shot anyway. Has the car been lowered? Turbo tie rods are the real answer if you need to replace these.
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsche/914/...bo-tie-rod-kit/
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:25 AM