Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EV 914's
raynekat
post Jun 22 2022, 08:58 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Whether you like 'em or not....they are definitely a wave of the future.
Not sure what I think about the whole idea myself.

Still have the rear luggage boot which is nice.

It's pretty slick the bolt in rear cradle that holds some of the batteries, Tesla motor, cooling, etc.

The "custom" look is pretty bad as to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJTNsH-SIqk
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jun 22 2022, 11:02 PM
Post #2

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

agree 100 percent
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jun 22 2022, 11:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Already discussed in a couple of places: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...45686&st=40

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=360290&hl=
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 23 2022, 05:56 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

No quicker way to destroy a 914 than to put a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) ton of batteries in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Shame so few "drivers" value handling anymore. That used to be the whole point of what these funny little European cars were about.

Try pulling 0.5g turn or perform 0.5g braking. Most of your friends and family will wet themselves like little girls thinking they past the limit and about to die. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeKopf
post Jun 23 2022, 02:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 25,186
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For me the manual transmission in the 914 is 50% of the fun. Taking that out for an electric motor seems such a loss.
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jun 23 2022, 02:30 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Batteries will get lighter.

And you can put the electric on the transmission. It doesn't help with range but I would definitely do it for fun.
+Quote Post
frostyf
post Jun 23 2022, 07:00 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,168
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wonder if the batteries in the frunk compensate for the engine, battery, coolant cage extending past the rear axles aft in balance?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 23 2022, 07:28 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(frostyf @ Jun 23 2022, 09:00 PM) *

Wonder if the batteries in the frunk compensate for the engine, battery, coolant cage extending past the rear axles aft in balance?

No. Only further increases moment of inertia and degrades steering and handling.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 23 2022, 07:31 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jun 23 2022, 04:30 PM) *

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) The promised land of battery technology is always 10 years away . . . as it has been for the last 20 year or more.

It's always a trade off between range and weight.

+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jun 23 2022, 08:38 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

To keep the universe even, somebody now has to install air-cooled type 4 engines into two Teslas.
+Quote Post
targa72e
post Jun 23 2022, 10:37 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,392
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 23 2022, 07:31 PM) *

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) The promised land of battery technology is always 10 years away . . . as it has been for the last 20 year or more.

Just like we would never be able to watch video over a dial up modem or have a battery powered phone that last or more the 30min this will change. battery technology from 10 years ago is not even a discussion point. I work with companies that are automating manufacturing for these product and the problem is the technology is moving so fast that the technology is obsolete before it gets manufactured. I do not know what it will look like in 10 years but it will not be recognizable from today. Bigger problem is updating power infrastructure to not be just transferring pollution production.

john
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 23 2022, 10:50 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

What the heck are you talking about (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Sure it's a compromise between range and weight, but the range batteries get for the same volume/weight today is many times more than just a decade ago. Maybe the weight of the battery hasn't changed so much, but the amount of juice inside it certainly has. Remember that 30 years ago these cars would have been crammed full of lead acid batteries that just "might" get you to the grocery store and back.

(IMG:https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/styles/full_article_width/public/2022-04/FOTW_1234.png)

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/articl...m-ion-batteries
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 24 2022, 12:39 AM
Post #13

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Where does one find these 450 whL batteries?
+Quote Post
914e
post Jun 24 2022, 02:11 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 23,951

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 23 2022, 11:39 PM) *

The SK innovation has batteries close to that. Ford is using them along with VW group.
The Ford module size is not the best for a 914. 24x15x5 in

412 wH per liter
259 wH per kilogram

The ID4 has battery modules a better size, they could be located very low on each side of the motor
Length 590mm
Width 225mm
Height 110mm
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 24 2022, 04:53 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 24 2022, 12:50 AM) *

Maybe the weight of the battery hasn't changed so much . . .

Agreed. Point being Lithium is the lightest metal (and 3rd lightest element) so not likely to find a new metal to replace it anytime “soon”.

Yes, battery energy density is increasing but it is still a long way from the energy density of gasoline.

Always fun to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) on the EV topic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

My end point being that the weight of the batteries is what destroys the handling - especially with a 914 conversion. That’s OK if you only drive in a straight line to go get ice cream as your fun drive. I prefer something that handles better than that.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 24 2022, 05:11 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 23 2022, 10:38 PM) *

To keep the universe even, somebody now has to install air-cooled type 4 engines into two Teslas.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 24 2022, 01:02 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 24 2022, 04:53 AM) *

My end point being that the weight of the batteries is what destroys the handling - especially with a 914 conversion. That’s OK if you only drive in a straight line to go get ice cream as your fun drive. I prefer something that handles better than that.

Well, let's consider these two examples. They said the rear battery pack plus Tesla drive train weighs about the same as a Six engine and trans. Okay, I've heard people argue even the extra weight of a six takes away some of the nimbleness of a four, but people seem to be pretty happy with the handling of their sixes.

Let's just consider that if they dropped the front battery pack, the weight has been held about the same. It's hard to know how the distribution of weight between battery pack and motors affects moment of inertia compared with a stock ICE. It looks like maybe it would be moved toward the axles a bit more, but seems it would be close(ish). Seems like you should be allowed at least a small battery pack in the fuel tank compartment to make up the weight of a full tank. Overall, some range would be lost but how much? The point being that even with current tech, you should be able to EV a 914 without destroying the handling if that were the priority.

It's all good because I know that you secretly fantasize about your own 914 EV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 24 2022, 01:25 PM
Post #18

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(914e @ Jun 24 2022, 01:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 23 2022, 11:39 PM) *

The SK innovation has batteries close to that. Ford is using them along with VW group.
The Ford module size is not the best for a 914. 24x15x5 in

412 wH per liter
259 wH per kilogram

The ID4 has battery modules a better size, they could be located very low on each side of the motor
Length 590mm
Width 225mm
Height 110mm

Thanks. So not available outside OEM?

Also it's not for a 914. I'm looking into doing a practical DD likely my old Nissan truck.

Is it just me or did cells nearly double in price this year?
+Quote Post
Mendivil26
post Jun 24 2022, 02:32 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 22,344
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 23 2022, 07:38 PM) *

Not exactly an air-cooled ICE, but this guy swapped an LS into a Tesla Model S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjnrybJ2f50

Apparently a 4bt cummins swap into a model 3 is next; they're calling it a Tesla Model-D.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 24 2022, 03:29 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 24 2022, 03:02 PM) *

Well, let's consider these two examples. They said the rear battery pack plus Tesla drive train weighs about the same as a Six engine and trans. Okay, I've heard people argue even the extra weight of a six takes away some of the nimbleness of a four, but people seem to be pretty happy with the handling of their sixes.

Let's just consider that if they dropped the front battery pack, the weight has been held about the same. It's hard to know how the distribution of weight between battery pack and motors affects moment of inertia compared with a stock ICE. It looks like maybe it would be moved toward the axles a bit more, but seems it would be close(ish). Seems like you should be allowed at least a small battery pack in the fuel tank compartment to make up the weight of a full tank. Overall, some range would be lost but how much? The point being that even with current tech, you should be able to EV a 914 without destroying the handling if that were the priority.

It's all good because I know that you secretly fantasize about your own 914 EV (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

What flavor is the Kool-Aid? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

We don't have to guess blindly at what the range might be with your proposal.

Let's presume that you are correct and that the powertrain approximates the mass and inertia of the /6.

So to preserve handling, now let's replace the fuel tank with batteries. Luckily we already know the volume of the 914 tank. 62 liters.

For simplicity let's assume we can package the batteries with perfect efficiency and use all 62 liters of space for the batteries.

Using 914e's specification of 412 Wh per liter we get 62 liters * 412 Wh/liter = 25,544 Wh. Likewise, 25,544 Wh / 259 Wh/Kg = 98.6 kg. This is extremely generous since 100% volumetric efficiency won't be achieved with packaging of the batteries in that "tank" space. Tesla model 3 battery packs are on the order of 300 Kg - 400 Kg depending on size so 98.6 Kg 914 battery is very generous indeed. Notice, in the video that the reality is that the 26 KWh battery they have occupies the entire Frunk in front of the gas tank. The reality is that you cannot package 26 KWh of battery in that gas tank package space. I'll ignore this for now.

So let's say gasoline weighs 6.0 lb/gallon, after conversions this is 0.719 kg/liter. So gasoline would weigh --> 62 liters * 0.719 kg/liter = 44.6 kg. Hmm . . . so those batteries are double the weight up there vs. gasoline. I can guarantee you that I can feel the degradation from an extra 44.6 kg of weight up in the gas tank area which is now increasing moment of inertia in a big way.

But wait, we don't even have the weight of the power electronics yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I guess whatever they weigh - they would have to go in the Frunk and will continue to degrade handling even further since that added Frunk mass is no longer centralized. I'll ignore them for now to work in your favor.

Now how about range? That 62 liters of gas would normally get us 410 miles of range at 25 mpg. It can also be refueled in less than 5 minutes.

So what might we expect for range from a 25 kilowatt hour battery pack? Might be a bit harder to guesstimate. Let's work off a Tesla Model 3. The Model 3 gets about 165 miles off the 50KWh battery. Only about 40Kwh (of the 50 KWh) is usable since we can't discharge Li-ion to zero SOC (keeping 20% reserve - using 80%).

https://ev-database.uk/car/1060/Tesla-Model-3-Standard-Range

So let's do that with our 914 battery pack. 25 KWh * 0.8 = 20 KWh usable capacity.

So now let's scale and say that if the Tesla Model 3 gets 165 miles of real world range off that 40 KWh usable battery - simple scaling would give us 1/2 of that off the 914 20 Kwh (usable0 battery = 82.5 miles. I'll even grant you that the 914 is lighter than the Model 3 and will have less rolling resistance as a result. I'll guesstimate it might be 30% more efficient due to that weight delta (3600 lbs vs 2000 ish). So we'll call it 107 mile range which will be more than generous for that tiny 25 KWh battery.

So I guess I won't be road tripping in a 914 anytime soon. Sounding a lot more like an ice cream getter to me.

It's not that I am completely against EV's. What I do oppose is all the wishful thinking and boundless optimism that ignores the physics that degrades a conversion as well as the range assumptions that assume the conversion would still usable for real world purposes like a long road trip.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:28 PM