Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is anyone still enlarging the diameter of our throttle bodies, Wouldn't it be nice to add a bit of power with a little more air??
second wind
post Nov 26 2021, 01:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,543
Region Association: Southern California

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....so I have seen this before but have never heard about the results.....is the idea any good? How do we get it done on our cars? Just thinking out loud....thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
gg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 26 2021, 07:04 AM
Post #2

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(second wind @ Nov 26 2021, 03:03 AM) *

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....so I have seen this before but have never heard about the results.....is the idea any good? How do we get it done on our cars? Just thinking out loud....thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
gg

Check with High Performance House in Redwood City.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Nov 26 2021, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I'd be interested in learning more, now that I have the Microsquirt to tune for it.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Nov 26 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

Look on the Samba for a 2.1L Vanagon throttle body. They are 50mm vs 45. You have to modify the throttle shaft on your existing throttle body to fit the larger throttle plate in order to keep the TPS. I enlarged the plenum to 50 mm with a tail pipe expander and ordered a new gasket for a Vanagon. My engine is a 2056 using 1.8L plenum, runners, and Let fuel injection.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 26 2021, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,781

The horn on the air box will flow how much? They look pretty small.
+Quote Post
larryM
post Nov 26 2021, 12:36 PM
Post #6

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

did it long ago 0n my D-jet 2.0 euro 4 with webcam73 - made midrange boost you could really feel - iirc it was a 4mm overbore

back then it was being done by Ed Mazula in SoCal - i've archived all my 914 documents; i think you can find an old post by me with the info
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Nov 26 2021, 12:56 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Nov 26 2021, 05:04 AM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Nov 26 2021, 03:03 AM) *

gg

Check with High Performance House in Redwood City.

Careful. HPH is rather expensive IIRC.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 26 2021, 04:02 PM
Post #8

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 26 2021, 11:33 AM) *

Look on the Samba for a 2.1L Vanagon throttle body. They are 50mm vs 45. You have to modify the throttle shaft on your existing throttle body to fit the larger throttle plate in order to keep the TPS. I enlarged the plenum to 50 mm with a tail pipe expander and ordered a new gasket for a Vanagon

I've seen this mentioned in threads before, primarily for the 1.8L plenum. Does anyone know of a good thread demonstrating how to do this on a 2.0? I'd love to open up air flow a bit for my 2270, not just for WOT but for getting more air at cold starts.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Nov 26 2021, 05:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

RC Fuel Injection in Torrance , California.
They enlarged our 2L t/b, and installed a larger dia butterfly with new shaft o-rings.
Fair pricing as well.
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Nov 26 2021, 06:12 PM
Post #10

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

I did cut back the air horn and used a 55mm motorcycle velocity stack on eBay for $12.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 26 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 26 2021, 04:12 PM) *

I did cut back the air horn and used a 55mm motorcycle velocity stack on eBay for $12.

Now we're talking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Nov 26 2021, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,023

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 26 2021, 02:02 PM) *

Look on the Samba for a 2.1L Vanagon throttle body. They are 50mm vs 45. You have to modify the throttle shaft on your existing throttle body to fit the larger throttle plate in order to keep the TPS. I enlarged the plenum to 50 mm with a tail pipe expander and ordered a new gasket for a Vanagon

I've seen this mentioned in threads before, primarily for the 1.8L plenum. Does anyone know of a good thread demonstrating how to do this on a 2.0? I'd love to open up air flow a bit for my 2270, not just for WOT but for getting more air at cold starts.

@BeatNavy Rob, I tend to find more information on Shoptalkforums on this topic.

Here's a thread looking at plenum efficiency and Vanagon TB. Seems appropriate for your 2270. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But do some search there as there is a lot more information. Pyledriver seems pretty knowledgeable.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102542

Definitely following closely all of your engine work/optimization. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Nov 26 2021, 10:57 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I can offer one data point that may be useful...in reviewing the Microsquirt datalogs for my car, when I rev it up at full throttle I rarely see below 96-97kPa...my GM MAP sensor is mounted on the plenum and has a hose going into one of the big hose fittings in the plenum itself. This implies to me that the throttle body is not really that much of a restriction. Stock 1974 2L D-jet plenum, runner, and throttle body, 2056 with mild street cam.

Rob, I'd be interested in what your data logs show for a full throttle, full-RPM run.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 27 2021, 09:54 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 27 2021, 12:23 AM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 26 2021, 02:02 PM) *

@BeatNavy Rob, I tend to find more information on Shoptalkforums on this topic.

Here's a thread looking at plenum efficiency and Vanagon TB. Seems appropriate for your 2270. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But do some search there as there is a lot more information. Pyledriver seems pretty knowledgeable.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102542

Definitely following closely all of your engine work/optimization. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks Montreal914 ! That's a very interesting thread, although wow do they go into 8 pages of theoretical. What my smallish brain took from Jake and everyone else's postings: plenum turbulence is bad and at some point smoother air is at least as important if not more than simply MORE air. Not sure what to do with that, tho? Try a bus plenum?

FYI, I did reach out to RC Fuel Injection about cost / recommendation for boring out a 2.0 TB. Looks like the base cost for "most Porsches" is $289. Not sure what that includes, but I'll pass info along. Given that it was late Friday afternoon, I don't expect a response for a few days. Thanks for the tip, Maltese Falcon .

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 27 2021, 12:57 AM) *

I can offer one data point that may be useful...in reviewing the Microsquirt datalogs for my car, when I rev it up at full throttle I rarely see below 96-97kPa...my GM MAP sensor is mounted on the plenum and has a hose going into one of the big hose fittings in the plenum itself. This implies to me that the throttle body is not really that much of a restriction. Stock 1974 2L D-jet plenum, runner, and throttle body, 2056 with mild street cam.

Rob, I'd be interested in what your data logs show for a full throttle, full-RPM run.

Greg, good idea. I follow your logic. I don't know enough to know if it's valid or not, but I do get the logic, and I'll try to post something soon. I actually haven't done a real run since I put the BMW IAC on it last week and played with the tune, but at WOT nothing should have changed. With Thanksgiving house guests and the colder temps (and heat not currently hooked up on my car) I haven't had a chance to really run it.

EDIT: User tagging not working up in the body of my response for some reason (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

@Montreal914 @Maltese Falcon
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Nov 27 2021, 10:48 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,023

At this price point on the TB modification, I would seriously consider this one from GoWesty. I definitely like the sealed ball bearing for the throttle shaft. There might be a TPS/lever orientation issue ( I have read somewhere) but someone had gone around this problem. I think I had read it on STF. Obviously, this would mount on a Vanagon plenum which might be better for the 2270(?) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

https://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/...e-valve-housing

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Nov 27 2021, 12:12 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

$300 for a new TB ain't hateful. But you'd need to see if the TPS is swappable, as this is a single-mciroswitch Digifant setup.

They offer a "Gowesty Fuel Injection Component Replacement Kit" that uses a "All-new Billet Aluminum Throttle Body with modern TPS" so I'm guessing it could be converted...?

https://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/...ement-system?v=
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 27 2021, 12:35 PM
Post #17

I believe @JamesM is running the Vanagon TB and plenum. I'd be interested in what's required to make that work. I can't find a good pic of one of those plenums, as I'd like to see what the vacuum outlet/port selection is like.

I think this is is rig. Very clean setup. But I can already see I'd probably have wiring harness issues with the way it's oriented.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-5834-1576449659_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Nov 27 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Nov 27 2021, 11:35 AM) *

I believe @JamesM is running the Vanagon TB and plenum. I'd be interested in what's required to make that work. I can't find a good pic of one of those plenums, as I'd like to see what the vacuum outlet/port selection is like.

I think this is is rig. Very clean setup. But I can already see I'd probably have wiring harness issues with the way it's oriented.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-5834-1576449659_thumb.jpg)

Throttle body is 2.1 vanagon, the plenum and runners though are 74 1.8 parts. Only modification made was using a tailpipe expander to open up the plenum to match the 50mm vanagon TB, and swapping the throttle arm from a 1.8 throttle body over to the vanagon throttle body for proper throttle cable orientation.

Using the Vanagon plenum is a bit more complicated as no 914 intake runners are a direct match to it.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Nov 27 2021, 11:18 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 27 2021, 09:48 AM) *

At this price point on the TB modification, I would seriously consider this one from GoWesty. I definitely like the sealed ball bearing for the throttle shaft. There might be a TPS/lever orientation issue ( I have read somewhere) but someone had gone around this problem. I think I had read it on STF. Obviously, this would mount on a Vanagon plenum which might be better for the 2270(?) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

https://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/...e-valve-housing

Attached Image

I have one of these on the bench waiting to be installed this winter as my motor is needing even more air than the 50mm vanagon TB can provide. The throttle arm is in the wrong orientation and needs to be swapped and due to the design of the TB itself it is not as straight forward a swap as using a stock 2.1 vanagon TB. The GoWesty unit however is 52mm and uses a flat throttle plate as opposed to the 2.1 vanagons tapered thottle plate that creates some restriction at WOT.

Its a really nice piece, out of the box its actuation is buttery smooth.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Nov 28 2021, 09:46 AM
Post #20

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

I think Mr Kona had a thread on this, well done.

Chris, I have the enlarged throttle body on my car that you did years ago, it definitely made a difference on the 2056 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:34 AM