Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tangerine Racing Throttle Linkage, Considering, installed PICS request?
sdoolin
post Nov 22 2021, 12:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,299
Region Association: None

I have my carbs off (Dellortos) for inspection/cleaning. Am considering the Tangerine Racing throttle linkage kit. Since I am in there and all.

I have been using a hex bar linkage in some form another my entire adult life, so am VERY familiar with it, and have never had too much trouble synching carbs. That said, I can see the benefits of the Tangerine Racing "linkage".

Wondering if anyone can provide pics of an installed system? I am partial to the customized hex bar and throttle cable bracket that I am running, so want to see what the Tangerine system looks like installed (and perhaps with Dellortos). Especially interested in how/where the throttle cable (from the pedal) is bracketed/attached to operate the cable(s).

Thanks in advance for any help (pics).

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Nov 22 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #2

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

@bkrantz
+Quote Post
mmichalik
post Nov 22 2021, 12:50 PM
Post #3

MikeM

Member No.: 19,600
Region Association: Southern California

Can't really see a whole lot but, it's there. Elegant and simple.
The actuation is instant, the cables don't stretch, the only thing I had trouble with was drilling the holes into the cable actuator. (Just needed a better drill bit)
Once it's all sync'ed up, it stays that way.
Let me know if you want any additional pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Nov 22 2021, 02:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Nov 22 2021, 11:09 AM) *

I have my carbs off (Dellortos) for inspection/cleaning. Am considering the Tangerine Racing throttle linkage kit. Since I am in there and all.

I have been using a hex bar linkage in some form another my entire adult life, so am VERY familiar with it, and have never had too much trouble synching carbs. That said, I can see the benefits of the Tangerine Racing "linkage".

Wondering if anyone can provide pics of an installed system? I am partial to the customized hex bar and throttle cable bracket that I am running, so want to see what the Tangerine system looks like installed (and perhaps with Dellortos). Especially interested in how/where the throttle cable (from the pedal) is bracketed/attached to operate the cable(s).

Thanks in advance for any help (pics).

Dont worry about the looks (though they are just fine) the function is SO much better with a cable setup than both the hex bar setups and the bell crank setups.
+Quote Post
searunner
post Dec 1 2021, 09:26 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 23,809

Dont worry about the looks (though they are just fine) the function is SO much better with a cable setup than both the hex bar setups and the bell crank setups.
[/quote]

At this LINK
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KmbY1AhqFA63jomC8
you can fin a lot of potosALBUM of my application on My Dell'Orto CARBS
not Tangerine but Easy and sucessful MOD From the cardboard project to the FINAL application on my 914 2.0/4
NOW the car is very responsive at the Acellerator pedal and also the CARBS regulation was very easy and STABLE- I am very satisfied of the results-

all the pices is easy to find
and I am at disposition for HELP!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 1 2021, 09:44 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Anything is better than hex bar, but I'm on the fence as to whether the cable set-up is better than a good center pull. Cable systems suffer from cable slack, where you have to have a a tiny bit of slack in the cable or it pulls one carb off the stop screw. To me slack equals slop and I tend to have better luck with the center pull, YMMV.

BTW I have a tangerine cable pull sitting on weber 44s right in front of me.
+Quote Post
GBX0073
post Dec 1 2021, 11:22 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,007
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mark Welcome Back you have been missed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Dec 1 2021, 12:21 PM
Post #8

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2021, 10:44 AM) *

Anything is better than hex bar, but I'm on the fence as to whether the cable set-up is better than a good center pull. Cable systems suffer from cable slack, where you have to have a a tiny bit of slack in the cable or it pulls one carb off the stop screw. To me slack equals slop and I tend to have better luck with the center pull, YMMV.

I just installed a Tangerine cable system this summer and I had issues with cable slack. I ended up bending the secondary cable where it exited the primary wheel and where it entered the secondary wheel. This pretty much solved that issue.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 1 2021, 06:59 PM
Post #9

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Spoke @ Dec 1 2021, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2021, 10:44 AM) *

I just installed a Tangerine cable system this summer and I had issues with cable slack. I ended up bending the secondary cable where it exited the primary wheel and where it entered the secondary wheel. This pretty much solved that issue.

If the hole for the cable end was positioned properly the cable would have laid flat. Jerry, I think in your case it was stack-up error on pulley machining.
I had a batch of cnc pulley blanks that were not fully concentric. When I did the final processing, some of them could have been off by enough to cause minor interference. It wouldn't take much.

I've had very good results with matching the slave to the master, after a short period of cable stretch when first installed. Alignment of the cable to the pulley is critical for full return without a heavy spring. To that end, my current parts assembly offers the most adjustability for alignment.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Dec 1 2021, 08:06 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I haven't run it yet (or even put the engine back in the car), but the installation was easy and the function of the slave cable connecting both sides seems slick.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
searunner
post May 9 2022, 03:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 23,809

No Tangerine BUT same Easy CABLE system here the complete Build Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KmbY1AhqFA63jomC8
I have build it for my 914 2.0 with 2xDELLORTO 40mm
My oldest bar system are in very BAD conditions was impossible the synchronization
of the TWO carbs
the special pieces find in EUROPE on eBay or directly from DELL ORTO/ WEBBER carbs suppliers.
The PIAGGIO doubler carbs command can be replaced by a NORTON or TRIUMPH
two stroke commands
https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellorto-mo...e-junction-nos/
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 10 2022, 12:14 PM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

My experience with cable systems for the T4 engines started in 2008 when I used the first "Sync- Link" kit that Pete developed and shared on my old Aircooled Technology Forums. I bought one of the first kits that he produced, and was instantly sold.
Till he could get his production up and going, we helped him make the parts, and since then he has made them all himself.

I've installed more than 200 sets of these systems since this time, and have NEVER received a single complaint. I can't think of the last time that an engine purchaser even asked a question about adjustment of the arrangement. This is the ONLY system I have used for my engines since 2008, except for a brief period when Pete could not produce them.

Creating this wasn't easy, since the conduits and cables that are used did make a huge difference. Generic cables did stretch, and we even employed kevlar for the task for a brief period before Pete found the current cable material that simply does not stretch. The conduits are just rigid enough, and just flexible enough. The cables maintain constant tension despite engine temperature, which I quantified with throttle position sensors on both carbs that were monitored through engine temperature changes in the beginning. Doing the same test with bell crank or hex bar systems was simply a joke compared to the Sync link. EGT was even more balanced with sync link since the actuation of both carbs were spot on, no matter what.

Further, in my 6 aircooled personal vehicles, they all use Sync- Link. This includes my 356C with 227HP T4 engine, through my VW Thing with a T4 engine, and my wife's VW Vert with T4. My daughter built the T4 engine in my wife's car at age 8 and she set the linkage up herself. I didn't help her, she followed the instructions. That was 2 years ago and it hasn't been touched since. It took her about 2 hours to set it up on the dyno

I fitted my 912E with sync link in 2010. I have yet to touch the cable adjustments 12 years later. Not even once.

I am using two 48 IDA Sync link kits to build linkage for my custom billet intake that fits 4X 48 IDA Webers atop my 6-71 supercharged 383 Chevy powering my 1930 Ford. I am using this so I can easily sync all 4 carbs and change the progression of them to my liking for the best street ability. The reduced pedal effort that sync link offers is crucial when actuating 8 throttle plates.

In my direct experience once I set up Sync link on the dyno the adjustments will need to be altered 1-2 times as the conduits heat up and slightly change the first time. After this the system is corrected and that's the last time that you'll touch it, if you optimize it as the instructions call out.

This is direct experience talking, not hearsay, opinion, or sales motivation.. Nothing I have posted here is "parroted" information, and didn't come from what I read somewhere, or Googled as "research".

I don't even sell the system, but it comes free on every one of my engines for a damn good reason.
I can't say enough good things about a proper cable system that has been set up correctly. Nothing equals the throttle response, reduces harmonics that the carbs see, and reduces pedal effort like Sync link.

While this doesn't address the OP's question, it does give valuable insight in regard to cable throttle systems in general when applied to the T4 engine.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 10:29 AM